The technology of using a vibrating OLED panel directly as a speaker was commercialized for the first time in 2017 in LG Display. This technology attaches a vibration actuator called an exciter to the back of the OLED panel, where it operates the OLED panel as a diaphragm of the speaker. With the development of the display maker, it developed from CRT to PDP, LCD, and LED. In the process, the image quality and appearance are leading the way. In previous studies, image and sound must be improved at the same time for easy information transmission. In addition, the concentration of watching is improved when the positions of the image and the sound match. The advantage of this technology is that it provides the viewer with direct sound coming from the panel, delivering clear audio when the sound and video appear in the same position. That gives the viewer a high intensity and maximizes the effect of information transfer. In this paper, we introduce research that generates sound directly from the exciter speaker to the panel. It also improves the sound quality of exciter speakers. Furthermore, it makes the left and right sounds independent from the sound using the exciter speakers.
- 1 Republic of Korea OLED yesterday, today and tomorrow Sainovation: Korea Display Industry Association; 2016.
- 2, , , . Sound quality improvement of a flat-panel display front speaker (emotional and EEG test of exciter speaker). SID Symposium Digest of Technical Papers. 2017; 48(1): 1680–1681.
- 3“ AMOLED industry market tracker”, IHS Report, 2017~2018.
- 4, , , et al. A novel high speed integrated gate driver circuit using a-Si TFT for 240 Hz FHD LCD TVs. SID Symposium Digest of Technical Papers. 2011; 42(1): 186–189.
- 5, , and , “ Technological progress and commercialization of OLED TV,” SID Symposium Digest of Technical Papers. Vol. 44. No. 1. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Publishing, 21-1, 2013.
- 6, , , . Study on enhancement of the sound quality by improvement of panel vibration in OLED TV. SID Symposium Digest of Technical Papers. 2018; 49(1).
- 7, , , . Slim-type speaker for flat-panel televisions. IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics. 2006; 52(1): 189–195.
- 8. Trends in speaker manufacturing technology at domestic and abroad. The Magazine of the IEEE Korea. 1986; 13(6): 513–520.
- 9. Basic Properties of Sound and Application Chung-Moon-Gak Publisher; 2004.
- 10. Theory and Design of Loudspeaker SuckHakDnag press; 2011.
- 11, , , . A study on the optimal speaker position for improving sound quality of flat panel display. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. 144(3).
- 12, , , . Acoustic characteristics of a loudspeaker obtained by vibroacoustic analysis. Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Engineering. 1997; A21(10): 1742–1756.
- 13, , , “ Research of relation between sound pressure and magnetostrictive speaker for 2ch flat display,” Proceedings of Korean Society for Precision Engineering, 2010 Fall Conference, pp. 603-604, 2010.
- 14, . Thin speakers and transparent speakers. Ceramist. 2014; 17(2): 60–66.
- 15, , , and , “ Display-based speaker structures for electronic devices,” U.S. Patent No. 8,934,228. 13 Jan. 2015.
- 16, . A study on the improvement of sound quality according to the location of OLED flat plate speaker. Asia-Pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology. 2017; 7(12): 775–783.
- 17, , , . Study on multi-channel speakers for controlling sound field of flat panel display. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. 2018; 143(3).
- 18, , . Acoustic analysis and vibration modeling for design of flat vibration speaker. Proceedings of Korean Society for Precision Engineering. 2008; 545–546.
- 19, , , . Development of slim speaker for use in flat TVs. IEEE Transactions on Magnetics. 2012; 48(11).